This fun variation of tag the involves safe spots, similar to a "base" in tag. The Game of the Week is Hoop Scoot Tag!
Group Size: Large group (10 or more)
Before You Start:
- Demonstrate safe tagging:
- Light touch, like butterfly wings on the shoulder
- Unsafe tags: hard contact that might cause the person being tagged to fall
- Review the boundaries and the consequences for going outside them
- Explain the rules of the game, including:
- Players with the tennis ball are taggers. Taggers must carry the tennis ball and may not throw or tag others with the ball.
- Players standing in a hula hoop are safe from being tagged, but players cannot be in a hula hoop for more than five seconds and no more than three players can be in a hoop at a time.
Scatter the hoops in the play area several feet apart. Select players to be “it” and give them a tennis ball to carry for identification.
How To Play:
- The object is for players to run from one hoop to another without being tagged by an “it”
- Only three players can stand in a hoop at a time, and for no longer than five seconds
- If a player stands too long in a hoop an “it” can count the seconds and if after five seconds the player hasn’t left the hoop he or she is automatically caught. The person who was caught switches role with the “it” person who was waiting
- When an “it” tags a player the two switch roles and the tennis ball gets passed to the new “it” and the game continues
- You can make the play area smaller, and have less hula hoops to make it more difficult
Find more new and exciting games in our games library!
Love implementing Game of the Week? Playworks Trainers are equipped with oodles of tools and tips to help you get a recess and play program going today. Check out our professional development programs and bring Playworks to your school or afterschool program.