Do your kids love going to the grocery store? This tag game is great for practicing colors and a fun way to talk about foods. The Game of the Week is Grocery Store!
Skills Practiced: Running, agility, safe tagging, spatial awareness and evasion
Demonstrate safe tagging:
- Light touch, like butterfly wings, on the back of shoulder.
- Unsafe tags: hard contact might cause the person being tagged to fall
- Remind the players to be aware of others running around them.
- Assign each set of cones a fruit or vegetable that corresponds to their color (e.g. purple cones = grapes, yellow cones = lemons, etc.)
- Make sure everyone can repeat each color of the cones and corresponding fruit.
Set up 3-6 sets of cones around in a given area. Each set of 4 cones should make a square. (The bigger the area used the more fun.)
- The leader starts as the Shopper. The Shopper will yell out, “I am going to the store to buy some… grapes!”
- Everyone must then run over to the box of purple cones without being tagged by the shopper.
- If they do get tagged, that player becomes a shopper and a tagger as well.
- Ask players to identify new foods and their colors.
- Surprise older players with brand new foods so that they must determine the color on the spot.
- Allow new shoppers to help pick the foods that they will "buy."
- Instead of starting everyone in one box and yelling out different fruits, start them out as workers in the grocery store and the leader as the manager. If you say I need the floors swept, all the players must walk around the play area pretended to sweep the floors until the leader yells, “The shopper needs… grapes!” and then they need to make it to the grape box without being tagged.
Find more new and exciting games in our games database!