Tag is a simple game with hundreds of variations. One variation Playworks staff often like to add is the rule "everyone's it". By allowing everyone to be "it", you change the focus of the game from those who are fast/slow to individual's skills. When each player focuses on their own goals as tagger, they have fun and are challenged to better their own skills. Try this simple game as a lead-up to other tag games in which everyone is it; the Game of the Week is Everyone's It!
Demonstrate safe tagging:
- Light tough, like a bufferyfly's wings, on the shoulder
- Unsafe tags: hard contact that might cause the person being tagged to fall
Review the boundaries and the consequences for going outside them:
- Start count over from zero
- Perform 10 jumping jacks to get back in
- The object is for players to tag and keep a running count of everyone they touch in three minutes.
- No one person is "it" and no one stops playing or "freezes" when tagged.
- Adjusting the amount of time for tagging and the location of the boundaries between rounds can add fun and variety.
- If someone is tagged, they must subject one from their running tally.