Playworks Volleyball season is just around the corner in most of our 23 city programs. Fourth and fifth grade girls will play games with other schools from their area. While program coordinators are preparing for these games, they will teach the skills of bumping, setting and service and give their students a chance to try those skills with a fun games, such as the Game of the Week: Clean Your Room!
- Distributed volleyballs (or soft foam balls) evenly on either side of the court before game begins.
- Review the concepts of bumping, setting and serving with volunteers. Have every player practice on an imaginary ball.
- Teach the rules of the game and ask the players to explain it back to you.
- Divide players into two teams.
- Players are not allowed to touch any balls until you give the signal.
- When you give the signal for the game to begin, all players try to get the ball to the other side of the net.
- They can bump, set, serve, throw, etc.
- You can focus on one type of hit, or let the players choose.
- This process continues until you give the stop signal.
- The goal of the game is to have no balls left on your team’s side.
- Redistribute balls before you begin the next round.
- Change the start and stop sound for a listening challenge.
- Have teammates cheer for balls returned without them touching the ground
Have teammates cheer for balls that are returned without touching the ground, and only volleyball techniques were used (bumps or sets, not catches and throws).
Find more new and exciting games in our games database!