Group Size: Any
Age Group: Grades 3-5
Equipment: A range of sports equipment such as hula hoops, balls, cones, ropes, etc.
To develop creativity and the capacity to make decisions as a group.
Before You Start:
Skills Practiced: Brainstorming, planning, leadership and creative thinking.
- Divide students into teams and place them in front of a pile of equipment.
- If needed, give groups examples of game ideas to get them started.
- Make sure each group has enough room to make up and practice their game.
- Divide sports equipment into piles based on the amount of groups playing.
How to Play:
- Students will use all the equipment in their pile to make up their own game.
- They need to establish boundaries, rules, equipment use and any other specific information for their game.
- Students choose a name for their game and prepare to teach their game to the other groups.
- The groups take turns teaching and playing each of their invented games.
- Change the group size to increase the communication challenge.
- Limit the types of equipment to increase the creativity challenge.
Love implementing Game of the Month? Playworks offers professional development programs that will teach your staff to use recess and playtime to improve health and support learning. Curious to learn more? Submit the Training Assessment form and a local Playworks representative will respond directly.